Y5 Spring 1 2022
Our first topic for the Spring term will be 'Sustainability' - an enquiry into how sustainable Kings Worthy is, and finding ways in which we can do more to help.
Geography - Sustainability:
- What eco schemes could we be a part of in school?
- Which renewable energy source would be best for Kings Worthy and why?
- What are local people able to recycle in Winchester compared to Devon?
- Is Kings Worthy as sustainable as it could be as a community?
Science - Properties of Materials:
- What are the different properties of materials: hardness, solubility, conductivity and magnetism?
- What different types of conductivity are there and which materials are best?
- Which materials are best to:
- create food packaging to seal in heat?
- make ear defenders for Bestival?
- clean a dirty surface?
- prepare food?
- Write our own commentary to The Majestic Plastic Bag mockumentary film using different cohesive devices and figurative language.
- Creating a poem to showcase nature in and around our school based on the poetry within A Poem for Every Day of the Year by Allie Esiri.
- The Spring term also offers children to opportunity to take part in the annual Radio 2 500 words competition where they can let their imagination run wild as they create their own short story.
- Multiplication and Division: revision of factors, multiples, cube, prime and square numbers. Learning to multiply all number up to 2-digit by 4-digit (e.g. 2876 x 23), including division of numbers up to 4-digits by 1-digit (e.g. 3865 ÷ 4), and continued application through problem-solving techniques.
- Area and Perimeter: measuring and calculating the area and perimeter of rectangles, rectilinear and irregular shapes using squares and the correct unit of measurement.
- Fractions: equivalent fractions; conversions from mixed numbers and improper fractions; comparing fractions, including mixed numbers and improper fractions; adding and subtracting mixed numbers, improper fractions and a mixture or both; multiplying all fractions by a whole number; and finding different fractions of amounts. This learning will continue into Spring 2.
- We will be using animation software to design and create our own animations to promote sustainability in the Kings Worthy community, drawing attention to schemes we can be involved in.
- E-safety: Safer Internet Day activities.
Art - Printing:
- Respond to the nature artwork of Johanna Basford and Este Macleod, analysing different techniques and using drawing, collage, textiles and printing to design their own large scale print as a final piece.
Music - Rap:
- Listen and respond to different songs within the rap genre and creating their own 'Eco-rap' about a sustainability topic of their choice using a structured rhythm.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Wednesday (outdoor) and Thursday (indoor).
- Outdoor: Outdoor Adventurous Activity (orienteering).
- Indoor: Wall Bars and Gymnastics.
RE - Stewardship and Creation:
- Our RE day will be on .
- What does stewardship mean, and how do we show stewardship in our everyday lives?
- Analyse and evaluate this concept within different creation stories, and caring for our world.
PSHE - Keeping safe and managing risks:
- Our PSHE day will be on .
- How to keep safe online and at home, including what can happen when somebody goes missing