Y5 Spring 2 2023
Our second topic for the Spring term will be 'Sustainability' - an enquiry into how sustainable Kings Worthy is, and finding ways in which we can do more to help.
Our very exciting trip to Harry Potter, Warner Bro. Studios will be taking place on Tuesday 7th March. Please check the Letters section of our pages to ensure you know the organisation for this day.
Geography - Sustainability:
- What eco schemes could we be a part of in school?
- Which renewable energy source would be best for Kings Worthy and why?
- What are local people able to recycle in Winchester compared to Devon?
- Is Kings Worthy as sustainable as it could be as a community?
Science - Changes of Materials:
- This half-term we will have a workshop from Henry Beaufort Science teachers based on changes of materials. This will take place on Tuesday 14th March.
- What are reversible and irreversible reactions; how can the properties of materials show a change has occurred?
- What reactions create a new substance?
- How can we separate substances from mixtures and solutions using sieving, filtering and evaporation?
- Write our own commentary to The Majestic Plastic Bag mockumentary film using different cohesive devices and figurative language.
- Creating a fantasy story inspired by Harry Potter, based in the same multiverse.
- Decimals and Percentages: understanding decimals up to 2 decimal places, introducing thousandths, converting to fraction and decimals equivalences, rounding decimals, understanding percentages as part of 100, converting between fraction, decimal and percentage equivalences.
- Area and Perimeter: measuring and calculating the area and perimeter of rectangles, rectilinear and irregular shapes using squares and the correct unit of measurement.
- Statistics: drawing and interpreting tables, line graphs, two-way tables and timetables.
- We will be using animation software to design and create our own animations to promote sustainability in the Kings Worthy community, drawing attention to schemes we can be involved in.
Art - Printing:
- Respond to the nature artwork of Johanna Basford and Este Macleod, analysing different techniques and using drawing, collage, textiles and printing to design their own large scale print as a final piece.
Music - Rap:
- Listen and respond to different songs within the rap genre and creating their own 'Eco-rap' about a sustainability topic of their choice using a structured rhythm.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Monday (indoor) and Friday (outdoor).
- Outdoor: Outdoor Adventurous Activity (orienteering and teamwork).
- Indoor: Wall Bars and Gymnastics.
RE - Salvation:
- Our RE learning will take place on 28.03.23 and 30.03.23.
- What is the meaning of salvation?
- Evaluate and respond to how salvation can be shown in the lives of people across the world.
PSHE - Emotional Wellbeing:
- Our PSHE learning will take place on 28.03.23 and 30.03.23.
- Understanding different feeling and emotions, coping with changes in these feeling and dealing with the idea of grief.