Y5 Spring 2 2024
Our second topic for the Spring term will be 'Sustainability' - an enquiry into how sustainable Kings Worthy is, and finding ways in which we can do more to help.
Geography - Sustainability:
- What eco schemes could we be a part of in school?
- Which renewable energy source would be best for Kings Worthy and why?
- What are local people able to recycle in Winchester compared to Devon?
- Is Kings Worthy as sustainable as it could be as a community?
Science - Changes of Materials:
- This half-term we will have a workshop from Henry Beaufort Science teachers based on changes of materials.
- What are reversible and irreversible reactions; how can the properties of materials show a change has occurred?
- What reactions create a new substance?
- How can we separate substances from mixtures and solutions using sieving, filtering and evaporation?
- Write our own commentary to The Majestic Plastic Bag mockumentary film using different cohesive devices and figurative language.
- Creating a fantasy story inspired by Harry Potter, based in the same multiverse.
- Decimals and Percentages: understanding decimals up to 2 decimal places, introducing thousandths, converting to fraction and decimals equivalences, rounding decimals, understanding percentages as part of 100, converting between fraction, decimal and percentage equivalences.
- Area and Perimeter: measuring and calculating the area and perimeter of rectangles, rectilinear and irregular shapes using squares and the correct unit of measurement.
- Statistics: drawing and interpreting tables, line graphs, two-way tables and timetables.
- We will be using animation software to design and create our own animations to promote sustainability in the Kings Worthy community, drawing attention to schemes we can be involved in.
Art - Printing:
- Respond to the nature artwork of Johanna Basford and Este Macleod, analysing different techniques and using drawing, collage, textiles and printing to design their own large scale print as a final piece.
Music - Rap:
- Listen and respond to different songs within the rap genre and creating their own 'Eco-rap' about a sustainability topic of their choice using a structured rhythm.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Monday (indoor) and Wednesday (outdoor).
- Outdoor: Outdoor Adventurous Activity (orienteering and teamwork).
- Indoor: Wall Bars and Gymnastics.
RE - Salvation:
- What is the meaning of salvation?
- Evaluate and respond to how salvation can be shown in the lives of people across the world.
PSHE - Emotional Wellbeing:
- Understanding different feeling and emotions, coping with changes in these feeling and dealing with the idea of grief.