Y5 Autumn 2 2023
Our second topic for the Autumn term will be 'Space'.
Science - Space:
- What is gravity, and how does it impact the layout of our solar system?
- What are the names and temperatures of the planets in our solar system, can we predict these?
- How do we know a planet is a planet?
- Is there life beyond our solar system; how big is our universe (star, moon, Sun, galaxy, universe)?
- We will be linking our learning of forces to the gravitational pull of the Earth, and applying our knowledge practically through investigations.
- Creating our own poem to commemorate Remembrance Day based on Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen.
- Explain to somebody how to wild a wolf, based on our guided reading text Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell.
- Creating a travel book about a planet children have created themselves inspired by Jim Bell's The Ultimate Interplanetary Travel Guide.
- Multiplication and Division: factors and multiples; prime, square and cube numbers; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000.
- Fractions: equivalent fractions; converting between improper and mixed number fractions; ordering and comparing fractions below and above 1; adding and subtracting improper, mixed number and proper fractions.
Geography - Sweden
- Where is Sweden located in the world, and what other countries are in Europe?
- What biomes are there in Sweden?
- What different physical and human geographical features are there in Sweden?
- Is Sweden the ideal location for the Winter Olympics? Why/why not?
- We will be using Scratch to design and debug a maze game the children have planned and created.
- E-safety: protecting our identity and password safety.
DT - Space Mobile:
- Design, create and evaluate a space mobile for children.
- Children will learn simple DT skills such as: sawing, fixing joints and moving mechanisms including a motor.
Music - Classical:
- Listen and respond to Tchaikovsky's Russian Dance, and perform a waltz as an ensemble.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Monday (indoor) and Friday (outdoor).
- Outdoor: Basketball.
- Indoor: Football Dance.
RE - Interpretation:
- Two births narratives.
PSHE - Identity, society and equality:
- What is diversity, and why is it important in our society?
- What is gender stereotyping?
- What is discrimination, and how can this make others feel?