Y5 Spring 1 2024
Our first topic for the Spring term will be 'Potions'.
Our exciting trip to Harry Potter, Warner Bros. Studios will take place in Spring 2! Visit our Letters page to remind yourself about the organisation of this very exciting day.
Science - Changes in Materials:
- In Spring 2 we launch this topic with a workshop from secondary science teachers thinking about how to make polluted water ready to drink again.
- What are the different properties of materials: texture, colour, smell, taste, transparency?
- What is a conductor and insulator and how can we test everyday materials to check these?
- What is the different between a solution and a mixture?
- Can we classify reactions as reversible and irreversible, and check the mass of the starting and ending substance?
- We will be using J.K Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone throughout our English learning this term to inspire our work using relative clauses, parenthesis and different sentence structures. This will include children creating:
- a Howler to another character in the Harry Potter books.
- an informative encyclopedia page about their own magical object.
- Multiplication and Division: formal methods of multiplication and division including short division (bus-stop method) and compact column addition of up to 4-digit by 2-digit numbers. This will be using our times table knowledge base from Year 4.
- Fractions: revisions and recap of fractions from Autumn 2 including addition and subtraction; building our knowledge to include multiplying fractions by a whole number, calculating fractions of amounts and using fractions as operators.
History - The Earliest Civilisations:
- What are the earliest civilisations of the world, where did they live, and what were their main advances?
- What were the main events in the Shang Dynasty and when did these happen?
- What is meant by 'social heirarchy' and how was this present in the Shang Dynasty?
- Who held the power during the Shang Dynasty?
- Why was Lady Fu Hao important during the Shang Dynasty?
- We will be using different software (Word, PowerPoint, 2PhotoSimple Advanced) to edit and change the look of images using tools such as cropping, colour changing, hue and saturation. This will end is the creation of an optical illusion image in the style of Bridget Riley.
- E-safety: Copyright in the UK.
Art - Sculpture
- Design and create our own owl sculpture, based on Hedwig, from the Harry Potter films and books. This will use collage and sculpture techniques.
Music - Melodic Palindromes:
- Create and note their own melodic palindrome, based on the A Boa A Qu, for their own magical beast.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Monday (indoor) and Friday (outdoor).
- Outdoor: Quidditch.
- Indoor: Joe Wicks Workouts.
RE - Stewardship:
- What is stewardship, and how does this belong on our every day life?
- How do different creation stories show stewardship (Islam, Hindu and Christian)?
PSHE - When things go wrong...
- How to keep safe online and at home, including what can happen when somebody goes missing.
- Which organisations can help when things go wrong?