Y5 Spring 1 2020
Topic 3: Eco-Heroes
For the first part of the Spring term we will be focussing on Geography through our Eco-Heroes topic. We will be looking at different continents and countries, learning where these are in the world and trying to find some Eco-Heroes along the way.
* Which countries re-use and recycle materials and what do they produce? How can we recycle and re-use different materials?
* Where does our food come from? How far has it travelled? What is fair-trade?
* How can we reduce or improve our use of natural resources?
Biography: We will be learning about biographies and auto-biographies. We will be looking at the different features and how to organise information appropriately. We will be researching the work of Greta Thunberg and children will be writing a biography of her life so far.
Persuasion/advice: We will be writing persuasive leaflets encouraging people to make environmentally friendly changes to their lifestyle.
Multiplication and Division
* Multiplying numbers mentally and drawing upon known facts.
* Multiplying numbers up to 4 digits by a 1 or 2 digit number using a formal written methods.
* Dividing numbers up to 4 digits by a 1 digit number using a formal written method.
* Solving problems involving all four operations.
* Compare and order fractions when the denominators are multiples of the same number.
* Identify, name and write equivalent fractions
* Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions
* Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator
We will be learning about the properties of materials and why certain materials are suited to different purposes. We will also be learning about electrical conductors and insulators.
We will be looking at the work of Johanna Basford and Este Macleod and children will be responding to their work using pencils and paint. Children will then design their own image using inspiration from both artists and they will create prints of their designs.
RE: Creation- Stewardship
Music: Children will be looking at the work of the Junk Orchestra and will be creating their own music using recycled materials. Children will be listening to music composed by Hans Zimmer.
PE: Tag Rubgy and Gymnastics
PSHE: Keeping safe and managing risk. When things go wrong.