Y4 Autumn 1 2023
Topic 1: Tomb Raiders!
For the first part of the autumn term, we’ll be learning about life in Ancient Egypt and trying to answer some of these questions:
- Who were the Ancient Egyptians? Where did they live?
- What did the Ancient Egyptians believe?
- What was everyday life like for an Ancient Egyptian?
- Who was Howard Carter and why is he famous?
- Why was the River Nile so important?
- During the first part of the autumn term, our English units of work will include Portal stories, instructions and biographies and these will be linked to our topic, Ancient Egyptians.
- Our first English unit is Portal stories and will involve the children creating short narratives based on the animation Tadeo Jones, a popular children’s cartoon. Then we will move on to writing instructions on how to mummify a Pharaoh. Disgusting but guaranteed to engage the children.
- In biographies, we will be studying the lives of different famous people and creating flow diagrams of their life events. The outcome of this unit of work will be a biography or autobiography of Howard Carter.
This is an overview of the units we will cover within Maths this half-term, including some of the small steps taught within each unit.
- Number: Place Value - representing and partitioning numbers to 1,000, estimating on number lines to 1000, comparing and ordering numbers to 1000, rounding to the nearest 10, 100 or1,000 and Roman numerals.
- Number: Addition and subtraction- adding and subtracting with and without exchanges, adding 4-digit numbers, subtracting 4-digit numbers, working towards using formal methods.
- Our science topic will be Mixtures and separating them and will involve investigating the qualities of different materials.
- This half-term, the children will investigate coding.
- Composing our own Ancient Egyptian chant to honour the Gods using various percussion instruments.
- African life - Investigating the work of John Muafangejo. The children will produce a print based on African life.
- Comparing Ancient Egyptian death rituals/ceremonies to Christian ceremonies.
- Identity, society and equality: Democracy
- Indoor PE - Gymnastics - Shape and balance
- Outdoor Games - Football skills with team games such as Football Rounders and Football Diamond Cricket.
- PE/Games days - Tuesday and Friday for 4D and 4R