Y3 Autumn 1 2019
Topic 1: Deadly 60
During this half term we are going to be learning all about the animal kingdom, big and small. We will be thinking about habitats, food chains, bodies and special abilities. We will use the internet and a wide range of texts in order to research the many different animals that exist in the global environment. Our topic ‘Entry Point’ will be to go on an outdoor adventure, discovering lots of different minibeasts in the woodland area! There will also be a visit from ‘Jungle Jonathan’!
- This half term we will completing writing linked with our 'Deadly 60' topic. We will begin by creating and describing our own creatures before writing our own detailed non-chronological report on a fictional animal. We will be using a range of texts including 'An Anthology of Intriguing Animals' and the Deadly 60 video clips.
- There will be an emphasis on handwriting with children working towards achieving their pen permits.
- Our English lessons this year will include aspects of spelling, grammar, punctuation, reading and writing.
- Place value and partitioning.
- Times tables
- Addition and subtraction – The focus for this half term is on mental and written strategies.
- The children will use the skills that they are learning to solve a range of addition and subtraction problems.
Our Science work this term is also based on animals. We will be using what we have learnt about the creatures in our Deadly 60 topic in order to group and sort them according to diet, food chains and skeletal structure. We will also be looking at what makes a healthy diet.
We are going to be developing our sketching, collaging and printing skills to create our own work inspired by Lucy Arnold.
Games – Cricket
PE – Gymnastics
We are learning about presentations and using these to enhance our Deadly 60 reports and documentaries. Animation and databases will also be covered. We will also use Pivot to make a stop-go animation.
Temptation – Candlelight. We will be looking at the story of Jesus in the Wilderness and be discussing the meaning of Temptation and what that means for Christians.
We are creating our own wild creature soundscape, using percussion instruments and our voices.