Y6 Autumn 1 2022
Topic: Our first topic is 'Extreme USA' – a study of hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes, focused on the USA and exploring the causes and impacts of these natural phenomena.
Key Questions for this unit:
- Where on Earth is the USA?
- What do I already know about this enormous country?
- How does the geography of the USA change between the Pacific and Atlantic coasts?
- What causes hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes and why do they affect some regions but not others?
- How do people in the different areas of the USA prepare for these disasters and what is the human impact of these events?
- Using maps to locate the countries of North America and to become familiar with the some of the states and the geography of the USA
- Using a range of evidence to study the causes of hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes
- Using case studies to focus on the human impact of these phenomena
- Revision and extension of sentence level grammar; labelling and understanding different word types
- Using guided reading sessions to explore ways in which authors use grammar structures for effect
- Looking at discussion texts and presenting different points of view
- Using hurricanes as a theme and stimulus for story writing, focusing on planning and structure to create tension and suspense
- Place Value - reading, writing, comparing numbers up to 10 million; decimals - tenths and hundredths
- Revision of formal written methods of the four operations and the application of these in real life situations
- Maths investigations and development of problem-solving skills
- Explore the idea that light travels in straight lines
- How do we see objects?
- Plan and carry out scientific enquiries to investigate ideas about light, record and present findings
- Editing images to create Pop Art-style art
- Use logical reasoning to explain how some simple algorithms work
- Use MOTION, LOOKS, SOUND blocks in Scratch, to create and alter variables and to explore effects
Art: Pop Art
- Study the work of Jasper John and Roy Lichenstein and produce art work in the style of these artists
- Design 3D Letter sculptures in a Pop Art Style
- What journeys have we made?
- Why might a journey might be special; to who and why?
- Look at pilgrimages made by people of different faiths
- Tag Rugby