Y6 Autumn 1 2018
Topic: Storm Chasers – a study of hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes. Focussed on USA and exploring the causes and impacts of these natural phenomena
Key Questions for this unit:
- Where on Earth is the USA?
- What do I already know about this enormous country?
- How does the geography of the USA change between the Pacific and Atlantic coasts?
- Why do hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes affect some regions but not others?
- Where is Washington DC, the capital of USA and what is it like?
- Using maps to locate the countries of North America and to become familiar with some of the states of the USA
- Using a range of evidence to study the causes of hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes
- Using case studies to focus on the human impact of these phenomenon
- Using this theme to learn about the geography of USA
- Revision and extension of sentence level grammar; labelling and understanding different word types
- Using guided reading sessions to explore ways in which authors use grammar structures for effect
- Using hurricanes as a theme and stimulus for story writing. This will focus on planning and structure to create tension and suspense
- Mental calculations using all 4 number operations
- Revision of formal written methods and the application of these in real life situations
- Shape and geometry – including properties, nets and angles
Art: Pop Art
Gymnastics: focus on balance and counter-balance building in travel and partner work to create sequences of movement on floor and apparatus
Games: tag rugby
Journeys - what journeys have we made? Why might a journey might be special; to who and why? Look at pilgrimages made by people of different faiths.