Y5 Autumn 2 2021
Our second topic for the Autumn term will be 'Space'. We are hoping that this will include a trip to the Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium.
Science - Space:
- What skills does an astronaut need?
- How many planets are there in our solar system?
- What are their names and relative positions?
- How do the planets, Earth, sun and moon move in relation to each other?
- What causes day and night?
- We will be linking our learning of forces to the gravitational pull of the Earth, and applying our knowledge practically through investigations.
- Instruct a beginner in how to wild a wolf, based on our guided reading text Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell.
- Creating a travel book about a planet children have created themselves inspired by Jim Bell's The Ultimate Interplanetary Travel Guide.
- Statistics: read, interpret and draw line graphs, tables, two-way tables and real-life timetables in the local area.
- Multiplication and Division: factors and multiples; prime, square and cube numbers; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000.
Geography - Russia:
- Is Russia the ideal location for the 2030 Winter Olympics?
- Where in the world is Russia?
- Where is Russia do people live, and how does the physical geography impact this?
- What biomes are present in Russia, and what are the characteristics of these?
- We will be using Scratch to design and debug a maze game the children have planned and created.
- E-safety: protecting our identity and password safety.
DT - Space Mobile:
- Design, create and evaluate a space mobile for children.
- Children will learn simple DT skills such as: sawing, fixing joints and moving mechanisms including a motor.
Music - Classical:
- Listen and respond to Tchaikovsky's Russian Dance, and perform a waltz as an ensemble.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Tuesday (outdoor) and Thursday (indoor).
- Outdoor: Basketball.
- Indoor: Football Dance.
RE - The Annunciation:
- The date for our RE day is yet to be confirmed for this half-term.
PSHE - Identity, society and equality:
- The date for our PSHE day is yet to be confirmed this half-term.