Y5 Autumn 2 2022
Our second topic for the Autumn term will be 'Space'.
We will be visiting Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium later in this term. Information for this trip will be available closer to the time.
Science - Space:
- What skills does an astronaut need?
- How many planets are there in our solar system?
- What are their names, relative positions and sizes?
- How do the planets, Earth, sun and moon move in relation to each other?
- What causes day and night?
- We will be linking our learning of forces to the gravitational pull of the Earth, and applying our knowledge practically through investigations.
- Explain to somebody how to wild a wolf, based on our guided reading text Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell.
- Creating a travel book about a planet children have created themselves inspired by Jim Bell's The Ultimate Interplanetary Travel Guide.
- Multiplication and Division: factors and multiples; prime, square and cube numbers; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000.
- Fractions: equivalent fractions; converting between improper and mixed number fractions; ordering and comparing fractions below and above 1; adding and subtracting improper, mixed number and proper fractions.
Geography - Sweden
- We will be using Scratch to design and debug a maze game the children have planned and created.
- E-safety: protecting our identity and password safety.
DT - Space Mobile:
- Design, create and evaluate a space mobile for children.
- Children will learn simple DT skills such as: sawing, fixing joints and moving mechanisms including a motor.
Music - Classical:
- Listen and respond to Tchaikovsky's Russian Dance, and perform a waltz as an ensemble.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Monday (indoor) and Friday (indoor).
- Outdoor: Basketball.
- Indoor: Football Dance.
RE - Interpretation:
- Our RE day will be on TBC
- Two births narratives.
PSHE - Identity, society and equality:
- Our PSHE day will be on TBC
- What is diversity, and why is it important in our society?
- What is gender stereotyping?
- What is discrimination, and how can this make others feel?