Y5 Autumn 1 2021
Our first topic is 'Raiders, Traders, Invaders' – a historical study of the Anglo-Saxon and Viking era (793AD - 1066AD).
- What do objects from the past tell us about the people who lived at that time?
- Who were the Saxons/Vikings? When and why did they come to Britain? Where did they settle?
- Where the Vikings raid? How did they trade? Why did they invade?
- What was everyday life like for a Viking?
- Who was Alfred? Was he really great?
- What happened at the Battle of Hastings?
- Using Michael Morpurgo's text Beowulf as a stimulus for saga writing, focusing on describing settings, characters and atmosphere.
- Writing a Saxon kennings poem to describe a battle scene in Beowulf, with a focus on using figurative language and hyphens to create two-word phrases.
- Writing a non-chronological report about a dragon (based on Dragonology by Dugald Steer) and using correct organisational features to structure the text and guide the reader.
- Revision and recap on mental and written strategies from across the Year 4 curriculum.
- Place Value - reading, writing and comparing numbers up to 1 million; tenths and hundredths; negative numbers.
- Addition and Subtraction - formal addition methods for up to 4-digits, rounding, multi-step problems and using the inverse operation.
Science - Forces:
- Exploring different forces including: gravity, air resistance, water resistance and friction.
- The impact of gears, pulleys and levers on creating a larger force or moving larger objects.
- Investigating a hypothesis using scientific enquiry skills.
- Applying accurate scientific vocabulary to investigations.
- Investigating the components that make up a computer.
- Using Scratch to generate kennings poems using coding.
- E-safety: understanding the importance of not sharing personal information online.
Art - Textiles:
- Study the work of Grayson Perry to create a class tapestry inspired by the Bayeux Tapestry and Victoria Villasana.
Music - Viking Rock:
- Listen and respond to Viking inspired music, and perform their own lyrical poem.
- Our PE days are on a Tuesday and Thursday.
- Outdoor: Tag Rugby.
- Indoor: Rhythmic Gymnastics.
RE - Salvation:
- Our RE day will be on Thursday 14th October 2021
- What is the Christian story of salvation?
- What can we learn from it?
PSHE - Physical well-being in the media:
- Our PSHE day will be on Monday 18th October 2021
- Messages in the media can be misleading, including food adverts, role models and image manipulation.