Y2 Autumn 1 2019
Topic 1: ‘Adventures on the High Seas' - a topic all about pirates and explorers
Our Maths work will include:
- Problem solving and reasoning.
- Representing and solving problem using the bar model and part, part, whole model.
- Number and Place Value including counting, reading and ordering numbers to 100.
- Counting in 2s from 0 and forwards and backwards in 10s from any number up to 100.
- Multiplication and division using arrays and sharing.
- Using the language and symbols for 'greater than', 'less than' and 'equal to' to compare numbers.
- Geometry: describing the properties of 2D and 3D shapes including symmetry and patterns.
- Addition and subtraction of 2 two digit numbers using informal written methods of calculation.
Our English work will include:
- Writing descriptions using expanded noun phrases, e.g. gleaming gold coins.
- Planning and writing our own portal story, which begins with a familiar setting, based on the story of Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs.
- Revising basic skills learnt in year 1, including: using a capital letter and full stop, finger spaces, applying phonic knowledge, and writing in sentences that make sense.
- Starting to use a range of punctuation including ! and ?
- Editing our work to improve our writing.
Our Topic work will include:
- Setting up a class pirate ship and taking on one of the roles on board from captain to cabin boy and girl.
- Creating our own pirate code.
- Naming the continents and oceans.
- Learning about the explorer Christopher Columbus and his journeys of discovery.
- Drawing ships in detail.
- Studying the work of J. M. Turner and producing our own paintings of ships and oceans.
- Painting a rogue’s gallery.
- Drama in role as pirate characters – daily life and taking over the other Year 2 pirate ship!
- Writing the essential guide to being a pirate with facts and a glossary of different pirate vocabulary.
- Pirate science experiments including: Which is the best material to build our own waterproof boat out of.
- Research famous pirates and explorers, both real and fictitious.
- Understanding and using geographical vocabulary including country, continent, land, sea, ice-caps, mountain, forest, desert and valley.
- Identifying villages, towns and cities.
- Using compasses to give directions using North, South, East and West.
- Creating maps of known areas.
Creating animated pirate guides using 2 Create a Story, creating animated pirate stories using 2 Create, logging in and out independently, saving and retrieving work using our own 'Documents' folder.
Indoor PE – Gymnastics
Outdoor games – Tag Rugby
The story of Noah, exploring the concept of a 'Fresh Start'.