Y2 Autumn 1 2018
Topic 1: ‘X Marks the Spot’, a unit all about pirates.
Our topic and English work will include:
- Setting up a class pirate ship and taking on one of the roles on board from captain to cabin boy and girl.
- Designing and making our own ship’s flag.
- Creating our own pirate code.
- Painting galleon paintings and a rogue’s gallery.
- Drama in roles of pirate characters – daily life and taking over the other Year 2 pirate ship!
- Writing the essential guide to being a pirate with facts and a glossary of different pirate vocabulary.
- Pirate science experiments including: Which is the best soap for scrubbing the deck?
- Making pirate ships and testing their seaworthiness.
- Research famous pirates both real and fictitious.
- Writing pirate adventure stories.
Our maths work will include:
- Problem solving and reasoning.
- Number and Place Value including counting, reading and ordering numbers to 100.
- Counting in 2s from 0 and forwards and backwards in 10s from any number up to 100.
- Multiplication and division using arrays and sharing.
- Geometry: describing the properties of 2D and 3D shapes including symmetry and patterns.
- Addition and subtraction of 2 two digit numbers using informal written methods of calculation.
IT - Creating animated pirate stories using 2Create a Story
Indoor PE – Gymnastics
Outdoor games – Tag Rugby
Identifying and discussing the concept of belonging.
Recognising how Christians and Jews show they belong to their faith.