Y1 Autumn 1 2020
Topic 1: All Around Us
For the first half of the Autumn term we will be learning about the local area. We will be thinking and learning about:
Our local area
• The features of Kings Worthy.
• Locating Winchester on a map.
• Human and physical features around our school and Kings Worthy.
• Kings Worthy and discussing what we like and what we would like to add to make it
an even better place.
• Creating our own maps with symbols.
The United Kingdom
• The United Kingdom on a map.
• The countries in the United Kingdom.
• How the United Kingdom is made up of different counties.
• Using a range of materials creatively to make products.
• Using a range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern and texture
• Thinking about the work of a range of artists
Literacy: We will start by writing labels, lists and caption before progressing on to writing simple sentences and learning about what makes a good sentence, including adding capital letters, finger spaces and full stops.
Phonics: We will have daily phonics lessons following the Letters and Sounds programme using elements of the Read, Write, Inc. programme to support. We will be recapping Phase 2 sounds and learning Phase 3 sounds.
Number – Counting to at least 20, counting forwards and backwards and learning how to add
and subtract using practical objects and a number line, including one more and one less.
Measuring – Measure objects using non-standard units and learning to put objects in order
from shortest to longest.
Shape – Learning about 2D shapes and practising our shape recognition.
IT: We have IT in the IT suite and also have access to laptops in class during the mornings.
We will be practising logging on to the computers, working on mouse control and learning to
PE: Indoor PE is on Tuesday mornings and outdoor PE on Thursday afternoons - please can children wear their PE kits to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and have a pair of trainers/ PE shoes kept in school at all times.
In RE we are thinking about things we are thankful for. We are learning about how Christians celebrate Harvest and how Jewish people celebrate Sukkot.
In Music we will be exploring how different sounds make us feel and learning how to make our own instruments.