Y6 Spring 1 2023
Topic 3: Iceland - Land Of Fire and Ice
Our topic this half-term is a geography-led study of Iceland and considering whether it is an ideal holiday destination.
The children will:
- Find out where Iceland is in relation to the rest of Europe
- Learn about the physical landscape and why particular geographical features occur there
- Learn how the physical environment affects the lives of the people who live there
- Compare the human and physical geography to our own local environment
- Consider the economic activity and the importance of the local environment
- Use a range of resources to draw conclusions about life in Iceland and how this might have changed over the years
- We will be reading Sky Song, by Abi Elphinstone.
- Writing a suspense narrative, based on a short animation, 'Alma'.
- Writing an adventure story, using dialogue to move the action and develop characters
- Non-chronological information sheet on 'The Tribes of Erkenwald', based on the story of Sky Song.
- Continued teaching and application of grammar and spelling rules and patterns.
- Ratio and proportion
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
Science - Classifying animals and living things
- identifying ways of grouping organisms according to their characteristics
- exploring ways of distinguishing between organisms that have similar characteristics
- classifying plants according to their characteristics
- finding out about Carl Linnaeus and his classification system
- exploring what micro-organisms are and how they can be grouped
- Creating branching diagrams and decision trees and using these to classify organisms
- Creating and searching a tabular database
- E-safety - we'll be taking part in Safer Internet Day
Looking at the work of Vincent Scarpace to inspire fish drawings using pen and ink / water colour, developing a range of designs to pattern-fill, then creating collage sea creatures, inspired by his paintings.
Composition and performance- creating compositions, using notation to record these and percussion and tuned instruments to perform.
PE: Gym: balances, sequences and wall bars Games: Handball
RE: Wudu and Eid al Fitr and Eid al Adha - Rituals
- What does ritual mean?
- What is the significance of ritual for Eid al Fitr and Eid al Adha?
- What is the value of ritual to Muslims?
- How can ritual be used in my life?