Y2 Autumn 1 2023
Topic 1: ‘Adventures on the High Seas' - a topic all about pirates!
Our Maths work will include:
- Problem solving and reasoning.
- Representing and solving problem using the bar model and part, part, whole model.
- Number and Place Value including counting, reading and ordering numbers to 100.
- Counting in 2s from 0 and forwards and backwards in 10s from any number up to 100.
- Using the language and symbols for 'greater than', 'less than' and 'equal to' to compare numbers.
- Addition and subtraction of 2 two digit numbers using informal written methods of calculation.
Our English work will include:
- Writing descriptions using expanded noun phrases, e.g. gleaming gold coins.
- Planning and writing our own portal story, which begins with a familiar setting, based on the story of Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs, The Pirates Next door and Dinosaur Poems.
- Revising basic skills learnt in year 1, including: using a capital letter and full stop, finger spaces, applying phonic knowledge, and writing in sentences that make sense.
- Starting to use a range of punctuation including ! and ?
- Editing our work to improve our writing.
Our Topic work will include:
- Studying the work of Carolee Clarke and Jacques Barraband and producing our own bird collages.
- Pirate science experiments including: Which is the best material to build our own waterproof boat out of.
- Looking at the different oceans around the world and understanding what is different about each of the these.
- Identifying the four countries of the UK and their capital cities.
- Using compasses to give directions using North, South, East and West.
We will be introducing the children to presentations and how information can be presented in different ways. We will be starting to build their IT skills, including logging in and out independently, saving and retrieving work using our own 'Documents' folder.
Indoor PE – Pirate Dance
Outdoor games – Multiskills - Passing and receiving using our feet
We will look at why is light important at Advent and Hanukkah.
Hampshire Music service - Tuned percussion