Y1 Summer 1 2023
Topic 2 - African Adventures
For the first half of summer term we will be using our African adventure topic to help us with our science learning. We will be thinking and learning about:
Animals and humans
- Identifying and naming a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
- Identifying and naming a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
- Describing and comparing the structure of a variety of common animals (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, including pets).
- Identifying, naming, drawing and labelling the basic parts of the human body.
- Explaining which part of the body is associated with each sense.
English: We will be writing narratives and information texts thinking about what makes a good sentences and developing our editing skills. In our narratives, we will use Handa's Surprise as inspiration, and we will be looking at a range of non-fiction texts about African animals for our information writing.
Phonics: We will have daily phonics lessons where we will be continuing to learn new level 5 graphemes following the Twinkl phonics scheme.
Maths: We will be looking at multiplication and division, fractions and position and direction (geometry)
IT: We have IT in the IT suite and also have access to laptops in class during the mornings. We will be practising logging on to the computers, practising mouse control and learning to type. We will be using programmes such as 2Publish+ and Tux Typing. We will also be practising maths using different educational games.
PE: Outdoors on Tuesdays. Indoor PE on Friday mornings. -We will be using the gym equipment during inside PE and focusing on balance and learning about and playing team games and ball skills in outside PE.